Name:
Location: Wild West, United States

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Updates on Miniatures

I have been working pretty steadily on my two current projects, and here are the results:



The Mossy Glen is complete, I think... The glue is dry and I've added a few more odds and ends to the vegetation. Here it is in its jar on the end table. I'm really pleased with this, especially since it was my very first attempt ever. There are things I'd do differently next time, but overall I'm quite happy with it.

The Hobby Room is coming along. It's not quite finished, but nearly. I've got everything placed where I think I want it. A few things need painting or finishing, and I'm still contemplating a few more items. The stripy rug is a small sample we made for Sheep to Shawl '03, I think. It represents that hobby, since I couldn't think how to make a loom. :-)



Here's my planted aquarium. I couldn't get a good picture because it's so small, but really this is my favorite thing in here. I made the aquarium, added a base of sand and then set it up just like a real planted aquarium, with some wood for structure and different layers of plant materials. Those fish were the single most difficult thing in the whole room so far.



Here's my knitting - there's a niddy-noddy full of yarn, a skein and a ball, representing all the steps in between spinning and knitting. The knitting itself is on two straight sewing pins. I did actually knit it on them, which was a pain not so much because of size as because they were too sharp and kept splitting the yarn. I made the chair, the box, and the niddy-noddy.



Here's the sewing table. The machine was purchased of course, and no I don't really use that kind. Everything else I made. The vase is a replica of a real one I received as a gift and have always loved. The bolt of fabric is some linen that I recently made a medieval gown from. The thread on the spool came from the same fabric as I was finding the grain. I love that spool. The tiny details are the most gratifying for some reason.



Here's my distaff and spindle with flax. It's actually some cashmere/silk blend, but it just looks perfect for flax. I whittled the tiny spindle and actually used it to spin the thread that's on it. I made the basket too. It's cardboard covered with a coarse yarn that to me looks kind of like grapevine.



And that's that so far! Hope you like it as much as I do!

4 Comments:

Blogger tandama said...

You are a crazy Lady! They look amazing from the pictures. can't wait to see them in person. OMG the distaff... You amaze me.
Jeanne-Marie

1:14 PM  
Blogger twenty pound tabby said...

I keep thinking the moss in the jar is alive.

Umm, it isn't alive is it?

4:34 PM  
Blogger twenty pound tabby said...

I have a little doll house sewing machine just like that. I also have the big, functional version - a Singer model 66 with "red eye" decals.
I've always like miniatures and have been meaning to do something myself - someday.

Still enjoying that crabapple jelly?

Evelyn

12:33 PM  
Blogger Cranberry said...

Hi Evelyn!

I had no idea that was you. :-) Actually, we ate it all up, and gave some to friends who also enjoyed it.

Glad you like the minis.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home