Name:
Location: Wild West, United States

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Tea Party Dress Update - Underwear Unlock'd!

It's been a while, and honestly I've been doing more knitting than sewing in that time. However, the tea is now five weeks away, so it's time to get moving!

The corset is done, although I had a terrible time with the grommets. I tried using the ones sold on CorsetMaking.com, along with their tools, and they didn't work at all. I tried getting different tools elsewhere, both the kind you hit with a hammer, and the pliers. No luck. The spreader part just isn't opening the flange out enough. They keep falling out. I think I'm honestly going to go back to the standard craft store grommets, that have always worked just fine.

I've also completed the Truly Victorian TV105 Combination Underwear. I used white linen from Fabrics-Store.com, IL020 handkerchief weight. It's lovely stuff, and will breathe well, but it's a little, ahem, immodest. I left off the leg cuffs, and shortened the legs considerably, to knee-length. I also left off the sleeves. I added lace to the neckline and legs. It turned out really cute, I'm quite pleased with it.




Next up is the petticoat. I have not bought this pattern, I'm just making it based on the picture and description. It doesn't show, after all, and I'm pretty confident that I can get it close enough (famous last words?) I've got the pieces cut, just need to assemble and add the ruffle.

I hope to start on the actual dress itself very soon. It's a good thing, too, because my daughter has decided that she wants a dress, too! We (she is going to help) will be making Butterick B6190, view D. The fabric has been ordered; I hope it's okay! I hate to buy without seeing it first. I'm also going to need to make her some sort of slip or something to wear under it, but I'll figure that out when I get there.

Five weeks! I can do this! (I hope)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home